To reduce the level of brightness, smoking the headlights will do a great job. It not only improves visually but also ensures good visibility which a driver needs for off-road use.
So, how to smoke headlights? It depends on what kind of tint you are using. If it’s spray paint, then applying it after covering the edges with painter’s tape will do the work. However, using the vinyl tint film will need adjustment to simply insert the adhesive part on the headlights.
In this guide, I’ll show you 2 techniques to smoke the headlights in detail so that you can follow the given instructions. Here I Go!
This is How To Smoke Headlights With Film Tint & Spray Paint!
Smoking the headlights won’t be hard if you follow the right technique and tools. Decide which kind of tint you want to use first then hop in the direction. Before getting into it, be sure to prepare your truck by following the given steps.
- Use a damp cloth and rubbing alcohol to wipe out dirt from the headlights. Clean the dust which can block the tint near the headlights too.
- Choose a place where you can access the extension cord to use the hairdryer.
- Organize the tools in a table or basket to avoid mess.
How To Smoke Headlights With Spray Paint?
Using the spray paint tint is pretty easy but you might need to select a mid-level dark smoke headlight tint to get a nice shade that doesn’t void the law.
In case you are looking for one, try VHT Nite-Shades for an off-road appearance.
- Spray Paint Tint.
- Painter Tape.
- Pour water on the headlights and polish the transparent glass using sandpaper for around 2 to 3 minutes (for each).
- Use painter’s tape and newspaper around the edges of headlights so that the spray paint tint doesn’t catch the truck surface.
- Spray the paint tint on the headlight lightly so that the glass seems smokey (not black).
- Wait for around 2 to 5 minutes.
- If you prefer a little darker than the actual shade, then again use the same spray and lightly cover the headlights at a distance.
- Let it sit for 3 to 5 hours to completely dry the tint. Done!
How To Smoke Headlights With Tint Film?
It will take for around 20 to 30 minutes to complete the process based on your skill. Be sure to grab one of the best headlight tint films like the VViViD Headlight Air-Tint which doesn’t give hard to squeegee air bubbles. Now, let me show you the instructions!
- Measuring Tape.
- A Good Pair Of Scissors.
- Tint Flim.
- Utility Knife.
- Water spray gun.
- Soap or shampoo.
- Hair dryer.
- Rubber Scrapper.
Step 1: Measure The Height & Width of The Headlights.
Take the measuring tape and find out the exact height and width. Once you have measured, add a few inches (2” or 3”) to adapt the fitment during the experiment.
Step 2: Cut The Tint Film Matching the Headlights Size.
Take the marker and simply spot it on the vinyl tint matching the headlight size (add a few inches). After marking, I would suggest you cut it into squares so that it would fit into the truck pretty easily.
Step 3: Adjust Size Using The Utility Knife.
Grab the utility knife and simply adjust the size by cutting only the edges. Next, strip off the tint film back tape to find the adhesive surface.
Step 4: Spray Water & Shampoo Solution On The Tint.
Make a mixture using the water and shampoo so that the surface stays covered, and the scrapper gets grip and slippage to squeegee better.
Step 5: Insert Vinyl Tints On The Headlights.
Use the adhesive part on the headlights and simply cover the surface. Grab the rubber scraper to run on the tint and remove all the air bubbles by moving it from up to down motion.
If you feel like it needs adjustment after application, be sure to use the utility knife and again run on the edges to correct the size.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do you lightly smoke headlights?
Choosing a lighter shade tint (vinyl film or spray paint) will help you get the desired smokey appearance which wouldn’t be too dark.
2. What does it mean to smoke headlights?
To smoke headlights simply means placing a natural darker tint on the surface. Most folks tint up their headlights to cut down the extreme brightness in the dark street.
3. Can I smoke out my headlights?
Yes, you can! All you need is the tools and the right instructions (I’ve explained the procedure above) to get the desired smokey look in your headlights.
That’s pretty much all you should know about how to smoke headlights. As you have only 2 options, pick one technique to get the ideal darker shade tint on yours.
Both of these are easy to apply and won’t take more time or effort. Hope the above procedure is detailed enough for you to follow the methods without facing mishaps.
Just Do It Yourself & Get The Smokey Headlights!