Ford is a well-reputed car brand that offers top-notch parts like dual-clutch analog-style TCM. Its main job is to diagnose the electrical signals coming from sensors.
This part sometimes needs restoration to bring back the original settings and solve any slight error. And, it’s better not to perform a reset if your TCM is working fine and the settings help you shift gear comfortably.
You can spend a few minutes learning how to reset TCM Mazda 3, ford focus, or other truck models and then try if absolutely necessary.
So, how to reset Ford transmission control module? I’ll break down so you can have an in-depth insight into the steps.
When to Reset Ford Transmission Control Module
You don’t have to reset Ford TCM unless you notice any driving-related issues. Here are some detailed reasons why and when you should reset transmission control module Ford.
- If you find it struggling to shift into gear from neutral, it’s time for the Ford TCM reset.
- If you notice the fuel in your car isn’t lasting long enough, resetting transmission control module would help.
- If your car takes longer to accelerate when your foot is on the gas, you may need to reset the TCM.
- When you’re not shifting gears but the gearbox slips into a different gear, there’s something wrong with the TCM.
- Other issues like having a hard time changing the gear or the car downshifting too early indicate the need of resetting the TCM.
Now, let’s get to know how you can reset transmission control module of Ford.
Explaining How to Reset Ford Transmission Control Module!
Triggering the battery terminal or trying the ignition key method might reset the Ford models. Based on the car series, you can try either one.
There are mainly 2 methods that you try depending on your Ford series. Without wasting time, let’s discover how to reset Ford transmission control module.
But wait, do you have the right gears to start with? If not, then plan for getting these items which are suitable for the task.
- Starting from the reliable gear which I like a lot is the DURATECH 3-Piece Ratchet Set. It’s smooth, versatile, and solid to fit nuts or bolts. In short, this is a suitable set to get.
Share this Infographic On Your Website By Copying the code below:
<a href="https://autoglobes.com/how-to-reset-ford-transmission" title="Best Way to Reset Ford Transmission Control Module!"><img src="https://autoglobes.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Best-Way-to-Reset-Ford-Transmission-Control-Module.png" width="100%" style="max-width: 850px;" alt="Best Way to Reset Ford Transmission Control Module!"></a><br>Infographic by <a href="https://autoglobes.com/" target="_blank">Autoglobes.com</a>
Battery Terminal Method
To reset transmission control module Ford F150, you can try this technique as it works perfectly for most cases!
- Open the hood and hang the prop rod to keep it exposed. Take out the cover of the hood compartment upwards. If it contains a lock system, then unlock using the ignition key.
- Unmount the nuts and bolts of the lock. You can get help using a wrench to detach the accessories.
- Remove the battery terminal (negative one) using a ratchet wrench. Be sure to wear gloves and then apply a slight force to pull out the terminal. Keep the terminal and cable in a safe place.
- Let the truck sit there for around 20 to 40 minutes.
- Insert the negative terminal and cable back to its place using the same gear. Ensure to tighten the nuts and bolts.
- Clean the surface if needed.
- See if the transmission control panel gives any updates. Start your truck to confirm the TCM reset officially.
Now, you know one of the most useful ways how to reset Ford f150 transmission.
Ignition Key Method
This technique is suitable for The Ford Fusion transmission reset of TCM and other series as well (except F150). Hope it helps!
- Start the ignition of your truck by inserting the key and don’t pull it out. It might take around 30 seconds.
- Immediately twist the key to the secondary position (run position). That will help change the interior settings.
- Shift the gear into Park (P) mode. Be sure no engine, battery, or other parts are functioning during the procedure.
- Again, turn on your truck ignition (not the engine).
- After 20 seconds, turn off the truck immediately. Then, start the truck for the 3rd time.
- Change the gear to Shine (S). You’ll hear a sound that indicates the reset of TCM.
Now, you know how to reset transmission control module.
The Ford Transmission Relearn Procedure
Once you know how to reset a Ford transmission control module, relearning should be the next step. Relearning is a process by which the transmission can relearn shift pressure as well as timing values.
Simply put, it’s just a way to get the transmission adapted to the new situation. So, you’re just teaching your Ford to move and run with new energy. Here’s how you can do so.
Step 1: Start the Ford
Start your car and set its engine speed to 0-80 mph. Also, reduce the throttle flow to 25%. After that, slow the car steadily and wait for the car to completely stop.
Step 2: Speed Up The Ford
This time, you need to start the car again and level up its speed from 0-80 mph. And, set the throttle for gasoline at 50%. Repeat the old step; reduce the speed again and let your car stop.
Step 3: Repeat the Engine Speed
This is the last step and you need to repeat the engine speed once again. Therefore, start your car and change its speed between 0-80 mph. And, keep the throttle setting at 100%.
That’s it. Now, you’ll notice the speed gradually reduce until it’s no longer completely shut off. This is how you can reset the gearbox of your Ford to its default setting.
Worth noting, it may take around 3-5 days for your car to start driving smoothly again. It’s a matter of several days for the engine of a transmission computer to relearn the new driving habitats.
Ford Focus Transmission Malfunction Reset
If you’re in need of the Ford Focus transmission reset, there’s a method called ‘fast learning’ that helps in this case. It will allow your Ford TCM to relearn the CVI (Clutch Thickness Values) numbers and let it process how to shift with the help of those values when needed.
Here’s everything about the Ford Focus Transmission reset.
- The first attempt will be to see all the dash lights coming on. To make it happen, turn the key to position 2.
- Then, press the accelerator pedal down and hold it for a few seconds.
- After a few seconds, turn off the key and release the accelerator pedal.
- Finally, wait for a few minutes before starting the car and driving.
That’s all about the Ford Focus TCM reset.
Ford Ranger Auto Gearbox Reset
Let’s get to know about the Ford Ranger gearbox reset. It will help you keep things under control if there are any issues with your Ford Ranger’s automatic transmission.
- First off, turn on the ignition without starting your engine.
- Once you notice the dashboard light goes out, push the accelerator in the kick-down position. Hold it the same for a few seconds.
- Then, turn off the ignition and take the key out.
- Release the throttle and wait for a couple of minutes.
- Lastly, check whether the gear changes are smoother.
These ‘Ford Ranger TCM reset’ steps can be a great help if you have problems with the Ranger’s gearbox.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you reset a transmission control module?
Yes, for sure! As this doesn’t require any criteria or conditions, you can reset the TCM unit of any truck including Ford.
2. How Long Does It Take to Reset a Transmission Control Module?
The reset of TCM will need not more than 30 minutes if doing it perfectly as a novice. It can take more time if you don’t know the basic steps and techniques to do it rightly.
3. How Do I Know if My Transmission Control Module Is Bad?
You can easily catch the signs by observing during gear changes. Before the TCM unit fails, it will show signs like bad fuel economy, weak acceleration, frequent gear slipping, and hard to shift between gears. A burning smell is another sign of a bad transmission control module.
No matter if it’s about the fuel consumption, slow acceleration, or bad shifting of gear, the culprit is usually TCM unit. The above directions are pretty simple and easy to do in real life that shall solve the minor problems.
After coming this far, hope you find this guide about how to reset Ford transmission control module useful. With a little effort and tolerance, you can overcome the obstacle. See You on The Next Guide!