Ford is a well-reputed car brand that offers top-notch parts like dual-clutch analog-style TCM. Its main job is to diagnose the electrical signals coming from sensors.
This part sometimes needs restoration to bring back the original settings and solve any slight error. And, it’s better not to perform a reset if your TCM is working fine and the settings help you shift gear comfortably.
You can spend a few minutes learning how to reset TCM Mazda 3, ford focus, or other truck models and then try if absolutely necessary.
So, how to reset Ford transmission control module? I’ll break down so you can have an in-depth insight into the steps.
Explaining How to Reset Ford Transmission Control Module!
Triggering the battery terminal or trying the ignition key method might reset the Ford models. Based on the car series, you can try either one.
There are mainly 2 methods that you try depending on your Ford series. Without wasting time, let’s discover how to reset Ford transmission control module.
But wait, do you have the right gears to start with? If not, then plan for getting these items which are suitable for the task.
- Starting from the reliable gear which I like a lot is the DURATECH 3-Piece Ratchet Set. It’s smooth, versatile, and solid to fit nuts or bolts. In short, this is a suitable set to get.
Battery Terminal Method
To reset transmission control module Ford F150, you can try this technique as it works perfectly for most cases!
- Open the hood and hang the prop rod to keep it exposed. Take out the cover of the hood compartment upwards. If it contains a lock system, then unlock using the ignition key.
- Unmount the nuts and bolts of the lock. You can get help using a wrench to detach the accessories.
- Remove the battery terminal (negative one) using a ratchet wrench. Be sure to wear gloves and then apply a slight force to pull out the terminal. Keep the terminal and cable in a safe place.
- Let the truck sit there for around 20 to 40 minutes.
- Insert the negative terminal and cable back to its place using the same gear. Ensure to tighten the nuts and bolts.
- Clean the surface if needed.
- See if the transmission control panel gives any updates. Start your truck to confirm the TCM reset officially.
Ignition Key Method
This technique is suitable for The Ford Fusion transmission reset of TCM and other series as well (except F150). Hope it helps!
- Start the ignition of your truck by inserting the key and don’t pull it out. It might take around 30 seconds.
- Immediately twist the key to the secondary position (run position). That will help change the interior settings.
- Shift the gear into Park (P) mode. Be sure no engine, battery, or other parts are functioning during the procedure.
- Again, turn on your truck ignition (not the engine).
- After 20 seconds, turn off the truck immediately. Then, start the truck for the 3rd time.
- Change the gear to Shine (S). You’ll hear a sound that indicates the reset of TCM.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you reset a transmission control module?
Yes, for sure! As this doesn’t require any criteria or conditions, you can reset the TCM unit of any truck including Ford.
2. How Long Does It Take to Reset a Transmission Control Module?
The reset of TCM will need not more than 30 minutes if doing it perfectly as a novice. It can take more time if you don’t know the basic steps and techniques to do it rightly.
3. How Do I Know if My Transmission Control Module Is Bad?
You can easily catch the signs by observing during gear changes. Before the TCM unit fails, it will show signs like bad fuel economy, weak acceleration, frequent gear slipping, and hard to shift between gears. A burning smell is another sign of a bad transmission control module.
No matter if it’s about the fuel consumption, slow acceleration, or bad shifting of gear, the culprit is usually TCM unit. The above directions are pretty simple and easy to do in real life that shall solve the minor problems.
After coming this far, hope you find this guide about how to reset Ford transmission control module useful. With a little effort and tolerance, you can overcome the obstacle. See You on The Next Guide!